Tabula Rasa

A little slot in the vast cyberspace to start from a clean slate. Learn to crawl, walk, run and fly... to laugh, cry, whine and shout about anything and everything under the sky :)

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Me Gustas Cuando Callas - Pablo Neruda
Me Gustas cuando callas porque estas como ausente,
Y me oyes desde lejos, y mi voz no te toca.
Parece que los ojos se te hubieran volado
Y perece que un beso te cerrara la boca.

Como todas las cosas estan llenas de mi alma
Emerges de las cosas,llena del alma mia
Mariposa de sueno, te pareces a mi alma
Y te pareces a la palabra melancolia

Me gustas cuando callas y estas como distante.
Y esta como quejandote, mariposa en arrullo.
Y me oyes desde lejos, y mi voz no te alcanza:
dejame que me calle con el silencio tuyo.

Dejame que te hable tambien con tu silencio
claro como una lampara, simple como un anillo.
Eres como la noche, callada y constelada.
Tu silencio es de estrella, tan lejano y sencillo.

Me gustas cuando callas porque estas como ausente.
Distante y dolorosa como hubieras muerto.
Una palabraentonces, una sonrisa bastan.
Y estoy alegre, alegre de que no sea cierto

******************************************************
I Like It When You're Quiet-Pablo Neruda
I like it when you're quiet, It's as is you weren't here now,
and you heard me froma distance, and my voice couldn't reach you.
It's as if your eyes had flown away from you, and as if your mouth were closed because I leaned to kiss you.

Just as all living things are filled with my soul,
You emerge from all living things filled with the soul of me.
It's as if, a butterfly in dreams, you were my soul,
and as if you were the soul's word, melancholy.

I like it when you are quiet. It's as if you'd gone away now.
And you'd become the keening, the butterfly's insistence.
And you heard me from a distance and my voice didn't reach you:
it's then that what I want is to be quiet with your silence.

It's then that what I want is to speak to your silence
in a speech as clear as lamplight, as plain as a gold ring.
You are quiet like the night, and like the night you're star-lit.
Your silences are star-like, they're a distant and a simple thing.

I like it when you're quiet. It's as if you weren't here now.
Aws if you were dead now, and sorrowful, and distant.
A word then is sufficient, or a smile, to make me happy,
Happy that it seems so certain that you're present.

******************************************************

Picked up my Neruda collection, randomly flipped to a page and this is what I got. Love the bittersweetness of it :)

Pablo Neruda (1904-1973) is widely considered one of the greatest poets of the 20th century. His funeral is also a key moment in Chilean history. It marks the first public protest against Pinochet's dictatorship.

Now, some may ask how did I come across Neruda? Am I a being fan of poetry? nope. The truth is a lot simpler.... Did a search for Nobel laurette who died in the year that I was born in and his name was one of the many that popped up ( i was that bored back then...) The next day I popped into Kinokuniya to get a collection of his poems. Interesting and some are intense... wish I know Spanish. Would love to be able to appreciate the beauty of his poems in its original form. no matter how well it's translated, a lot of the essence would have been lost. That basically applies to so many other work of art/entertainment. An obvious one is foreign movies.

A recent topic in the Fitness Fever forum mentioned favourite movie. There are countless movies that I adore and it's impossible to name just one. There are however a few that I'd always have a soft spot for.... Cinema Paradiso and Ill Postino. If I can speak and understand Italian, I'm certain I'd love them even more and would have suffer severe dehydration..... from excessive sobbing :p

14 Comments:

At 12:00 AM, Blogger J.C.Morgado said...

grandes versos de un gran poeta, que con su tinta desnudaba realidades.

saludos

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger YOU! said...

Mucho Gracias para su comentario! Convengo con usted, Senor Neruda esta un gran poeta y persona.

lo siento! porque yo no habla espanol muy bien.

saludos

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so difficult to read in the off with people talking/walking around. read it 3x.made my mood pensive immediately,esp in the chill of the air-con, imagine myself walking by river seine in paris, watching ducks frolic in little puddles of water, which are not frozen yet, with a loved one, so in tune with each other that, no words need to be spoken, enjoying the stillness of the grey morning ...

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

wow, do the chileans have their radar out to pick up posts that have chilean poetry? I am impressed with the wide radius your blog tentacles have reached. so talented hor you, (as in u, awak), can dance, can combat, can read poetry in tongues, ....

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger YOU! said...

Princess, el gran poesia no ira inadverido :) Chile esta pais de poetas!

saludos de Malaysia

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha,fatboybakes,my colleagues are asking me why am i laughing and crying at the same time.
btw,i still love this post....despite your comments...
and to YOU! your spanish vocab amazes me...

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger YOU! said...

I know very little la. just words here and there. grammatically may be salah! :p

fatboybakes, you left out can cook and sing (not necessarily good though :p)

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

ah, but you specifically said the thing you and lai ming have in common is that you cant sing mah, so i omitted that. as for your other skills, such as cooking, well, i only listed those that i can actually see la, eg, seeing u dance in jam, seeing you spout poetry, and reply in spanish....
so, when do we sample the cooking? one has to be objective in dishing out accolades mah...

sunshine, glad u got a chuckle out of the previous comment. your first comment, walking along the seine, reminds me of abba's song, OUR LAST SUMMER...walks along the seine, laffing in de rain, blah blah...

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger fatboybakes said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FB: really? Great musical minds have same experiences!(i mean me and abba, if you are confused :p)i actually experienced that wet, gloomy day in paris. A moment in time....

 
At 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so much on movie 'like water for chocolate' in fitness fever, btw, i saw the movie a long time ago, and what i remember was the amount of emotion that goes into her cooking, if she is sad, people who eat her cooking will break out into tears!as they chew on each morsel they will start to weep... very typical italian big mama kinda family...soo indulgent,and the food.. so rich and yummy

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

la traduccion esta buena, pero no es asi como termina ni en siertas partes, deverias rebisarla denuevo y tratar, tengo la traduccion original, la mejor pero me gustaria ver intertar a otras personas...

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Jilly said...

I love this poem, thank you x

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger Emma said...

I love this poem, and I have the same book :) It's always been a favorite of mine. I speak spanish fairly well, so I've read both versions, but I always wonder how much different the impact is for someone who is a native Spanish speaker, compared to an English speaker reading the translation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home